3.28.2009

baby hummingbirds

I came across this insy winsy nest right outside my bedroom window. I looked in and saw two tiny beaks poking out. It looks as though the mother has abondoned her babies. I read that sometimes the mother and father may be close by watching and not necessarily at the nest. But, I haven't seen either parent once in the last two days. These two little birds were shivering and trying to keep each other warm last night. They must be starving as well. They look maybe a week old, if that.

It's hard to tell the size of them in the pics, but if this helps, they are smaller than half of my pinky finger. And the nest is smaller than half the palm of my hand.

I don't know what to do. It's breaking my heart. I don't want to watch these two die slowly... any thoughts, suggestions?

UPDATE!!!! I just looked over and and saw momma hummingbird feeding her babies!!!! I'm soooo happy! The birdies are moving around a lot, I hope they don't fall out of that tiny nest! They look sooo happy now. This made my day!





4 comments:

{ L } said...

Oh how precious...what a SWEET sign of spring. :) You're such a good nurturer too.

Life at the White House said...

ps - i added you to my blog roll. :)

Carol said...

I love hummingbirds! Thank you for posting the amazing pics. So glad the mamma came back!

the undomesticated wife said...

That is just incredible! How awesome to see it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

From: Charmaine!

From: Ms. Attitude!

From: Crystal!

From: Charmaine!

From: Charmaine!

From: Gari-Ann!

From: Charmaine!

From: La Donna!

What do you wear on your lips most of the time?

Free Web Counter
Free Counter http://lovelycharmingwhimsical.blogspot.com/